Subject: Re: CVS commit: src/sys/kern
To: Andrew Brown <atatat@atatdot.net>
From: Bill Squier <groo@old-ones.com>
List: tech-kern
Date: 04/08/2004 17:43:29
On Thu, Apr 08, 2004 at 02:10:45PM -0400, Andrew Brown wrote:
> putting anywhere that's not local to the code itself makes the
> maintenance problem about an order of magnitude harder as is evidenced
> by the fact that the documentation is not complete.  or, to put it the
> other way around, putting the "documentation" next to the code makes
> it easier.

I have to agree with Andrew here.  We waste many many K of "precious" kernel
space to print out pretty names for our devices, and all that does is give
users something that scrolls by very fast when they boot.

Knowing briefly what the sysctl knob will change right there in the output of
sysctl -a seems like a win to me-- and a much bigger one that knowing
that my PIII supports the ABCDEFG-HOOKED-ON-PHONICS-WORKED-FOR-ME flag.

...and we can disable this memory usage.  Try to disable all the strings
that match/attach embed.

--
Bill Squier (groo@old-ones.com)                          http://www.netbsd.org

        I know I don't deserve another chance, but this _is_ America,
        and as an American, aren't I entitled to one?  --Sideshow Bob.