Subject: bumping default open descriptors
To: None <tech-kern@netbsd.org>
From: matthew green <mrg@eterna.com.au>
List: tech-kern
Date: 04/02/2004 22:15:49
hi folks.

i think it's beyond time netbsd increased the default fd's per process.
i'd like to make a change along these lines, but first i'd like to
collect some input on:

	- currently it's 64, raise to what?  128?  256?  i'm vaguely
	inclined to make it 256 but i'd also like to allow MD code to
	lower the limit back to 64 if they want (is this actually
	necessary?)

	- increasing this may mean we want to increase the size of
	the total descriptor table.  i don't expect it would be the
	same order of change, ie, 2* max fds -> 1.3* total fds, etc,
	as the point of this isn't that we can't open enough files,
	but that a single process can't.  (this is part of why i
	prefer a default of 256.)

	- are there other tables that will need to grow as well?

.mrg.