Subject: Re: the adventures continues... Re: acx100(4)/ [ acx(4) [ was Re:
To: None <tech-kern@NetBSD.org>
From: Sam Thigpen <sthigpen@sdf.lonestar.org>
List: tech-kern
Date: 02/14/2004 03:53:16
The builtin regular Ethernet adapter is also a broadcom, and is
recognized, and works fine.  According to the website Broadcom
manufactures 2 mobile wireless chipsets, designated with the "-M":

BCM94306-M 802.11b/54g Client Reference Design
"AirForce BCM94306-M 2.4 GHz IEEE 802.11g baseband processor with
integrated Medium Access Controllers (MAC) features maxperformance 54gTM,
with extended reach, powerful security, and high-speed Wi-Fi connectivity.
This new low power solution draws 75 percent less power than other leading
wireless solutions and typically consumes less than one minute of the
overall life of a notebook battery. The BCM94306-M reference designs have
been Wi-Fi CERTIFIED interoperable for both 802.11b and 802.11g, and
include advanced AirForce features such as SmartRadio, standards-based
Xpress Technology for improved overall network efficiency, and powerful
security including AES in hardware, WPA and CCX. Reference designs for
MiniPCI, CardBus, and PCI."

BCM94309-M 802.11b/a/54g Dual Band Client Reference Design
"AirForce BCM94309-M 2.4/5 GHz IEEE 802.11a/g baseband processor with
integrated Medium Access Controllers (MAC) features both 802.11a and
maxperformance 54gTM, with extended reach, powerful security, and
high-speed Wi-Fi connectivity. This new low power solution draws 75
percent less power than other leading wireless solutions and typically
consumes less than one minute of the overall life of a notebook battery.
The BCM94309-M reference designs have been Wi-Fi CERTIFIED interoperable
for 802.11a, 802.11b and 802.11g, and include advanced AirForce features
such as SmartRadio, standards-based Xpress Technology for improved overall
network efficiency, and powerful security including AES in hardware, WPA
and CCX. Reference designs for MiniPCI, CardBus, and PCI."

Apparently people are having success loading these in Linux with
Ndis(wrapper) (windows network driver API) drivers.

http://www.ussg.iu.edu/hypermail/linux/kernel/0311.2/0426.html

Any additional insight is much appreciated, of course.