Subject: Re: wscons keymaps (in-kernel and/or outside of it?)
To: None <tech-kern@netbsd.org>
From: Christoph Badura <bad@bsd.de>
List: tech-kern
Date: 02/11/2004 23:04:58
Juergen Hannken-Illjes writes:
>On Wed, Feb 11, 2004 at 07:07:58PM +0100, Hernani Marques Madeira wrote:
>> > It is not that easy:
>> >
>> > Maps are recursive. For example to get the Map "de.nodead" the map "us" is
>> > loaded. Then the Map "de" is merged. Then the Map "de.nodead" is merged.
>>
>> Yes. And if we would load only full maps? This requires that we make all
>> maps independent -- providing all used keycodes for every keymap.

>Independent Maps will consume much more space. Again from wskbdmap_mfii.c:

>bytes map
>  514 pckbd_keydesc_us
>  158 pckbd_keydesc_de

I think this is a rather weak argument.  The kernel wastes more space
elsewhere.  And back in the late 80s -- when you thought 8MB RAM was good
and 16MB was huge --we didn't notice the keyboard maps that were loaded in
the UNIX and Xenix kernels despite the map needing two 1K file system buffers.

--chris