Subject: Re: Eliminating BQ_AGE -- with broken patch
To: Thor Lancelot Simon <tls@rek.tjls.com>
From: Daniel Carosone <dan@geek.com.au>
List: tech-kern
Date: 01/31/2004 08:16:46
--5mCyUwZo2JvN/JJP

On Fri, Jan 30, 2004 at 01:22:42PM -0500, Thor Lancelot Simon wrote:
> Paul suggested eliminating the AGE queue some time ago.  I disagreed with him
> then, but looking at things more closely I think that if we keep the current
> use of B_AGE, but replace enqueueing on BQ_AGE with releasing the buffer's
> memory back to the system, it's the right thing to do.

Can't comment on any locking botch in your patch, but I wonder if this
is necessary - since we give up these pages as soon as we're asked,
and we're now the first thing the pagedaemon asks for pages, is there
a great difference in practice?

I suppose not having to wake up the pagedaemon in the first place
counts for something, would this really avoid many of these?

Not that it isn't a good idea in principle, but if the implementation
is more intricate or error prone, perhaps its not a big win?

--
Dan.

--5mCyUwZo2JvN/JJP

--5mCyUwZo2JvN/JJP--