Subject: Re: Coallesce disk I/O
To: None <tech-kern@netbsd.org>
From: Chris Jepeway <jepeway@blasted-heath.com>
List: tech-kern
Date: 01/28/2004 13:43:37
Well, lemme weigh in, here, if I may.

I think the VM tricks approach is simple enough that
it makes sense to use it for exploratory purposes,
to, as Stephan says, see if there's a dead rabbit
or gold down at the end of the "how to coalesce
I/O" hole.  If gold, fooling around with the
next step of firming up the implementation
makes sense.  If stinky dead rabbit, well, drop
it in favor of other improvements that give
more bang for the buck.

Anecdotal testing--compiling GENERIC on a SCSI
disk manufactured in the past 5 yrs--showed that
5% of the buffers delivered to strategy were
coalescable, and that coalescing them improved
disk throughput by a corresponding 5%.  As for
execution time, good news/bad news: no extra
CPU time, neither user nor sys; but no better
wall-clock time, either.  At least, that's
what I recall.

So, what do I think you can tell from this?

    o  there are some I/O requests that can be
       coalesced (at one point, it had been
       put forth that there wouldn't be
       that many, since UVM/UBC/UFS were
       pretty smart about read-ahead and
       write-behind); these are presumed
       to be meta-data writes, but that
       was never confirmed

    o  on an 800MHz AMD Duron, the overhead
       of coalescing I/O via VM tricks isn't all
       that much (since there's no change
       in CPU times for the compiles)

    o  it'd be easy enough to test how much
       coalescing I/O would help out w/
       whatever's going on in -current;
       if the meta-data theory is correct,
       maybe the bolus of softdep data
       could be softened up by coalescing

I'd jump in and do some tests w/ -current, but my devel/test environments
are more-or-less toast.  I'm trying to resurrect them, but what with
this, that, and the other thing, it'll be 2 weeks or so b/4 I
could run any benchmarks.  Meanwhile, I'd be glad to work w/ anybody
interested in using the patches at http://www.blasted-heath.com/nbsd/cluster/
to get solid numbers from -current.  If the patches, for instance, no
longer apply cleanly, I think I've got enough infrastructure left to
cook up a set that would work.

Any takers?

Chris.