Subject: Re: switch to two-argument KASSERT?
To: Matt Thomas <matt@3am-software.com>
From: Jaromir Dolecek <jdolecek@NetBSD.org>
List: tech-kern
Date: 01/14/2004 11:03:04
Matt Thomas wrote:
> > Specifically, I'd like to still see the asserted condition embedded in
> > the message. It saves having to dive into the source to find the
> > message string, rather than dive in looking for the assertion test as
> > now, just to get a basic interpretation. It also helps the message
> > text be simpler and more useful it supplements rather than
> > "translates" the test - otherwise you can wind up with two
> > obviously-equivalent forms of the same obscure condition.
>
> I disagree.  I often want to format the string quite different than
> the condition string to more informative.

I like two-argument KASSERT(), but I'd like to have the asserted
condition displayed, too. While some extra informative text doesn't
hurt, the important part is the failed condition, not the message.

Jaromir
-=- We should be mindful of the potential goal, but as the Buddhist -=-
-=- masters say, ``You may notice during meditation that you        -=-
-=- sometimes levitate or glow.   Do not let this distract you.''   -=-