Subject: Re: dev/audiobell.c proposal
To: Ben Collver <collver1@comcast.net>
From: Ben Harris <bjh21@NetBSD.org>
List: tech-kern
Date: 01/13/2004 17:16:48
On Tue, 13 Jan 2004, Ben Collver wrote:

> Personally I like the idea of separating the bell from /dev/audio, by
> adding a new wscons_event.type, and having something in the userland poll
> for it.

While I think that should be done as well, we need some kind of fallback
bell for when the daemon isn't running, and that's what audiobell is meant
to be.  My current version weighs in at less than 600 bytes on ARM, and
all it lacks is paying attention to the "volume" parameter.

>  There would be the worry of latency, but it could be very
> flexible, (ie: it could run a program to send a command to a MIDI robot).

Would that be a MIDI robot with a stick, standing next to a large gong?

--
Ben Harris                                                   <bjh21@NetBSD.org>
Portmaster, NetBSD/acorn26           <URL:http://www.NetBSD.org/Ports/acorn26/>