Subject: Still a slowdown after latest bufcache changes?
To: None <tech-kern@netbsd.org>
From: Rafal Boni <rafal@pobox.com>
List: tech-kern
Date: 01/11/2004 09:23:30
--==_Exmh_150711487710P

Folks:
	I cvs updated last night, rebuilt a new kernel and then did a
	complete "build.sh distribution" on my T30 (1.8Ghz P4, 256MB
	RAM) leaving it to run after I went to bed.  The build was
	done with a clean objdir, tooldir and destdirs, so every-
	thing was rebuilt from scratch.

	The build still seemed much slower than I'd expect on this
	hardware (I've only recently reinstalled XP to salvage some
	space on the disk for NetBSD, so unfortunately I don't have
	a good baseline, but it seems much slower than my desktop,
	which is a dual 700Mhz PIII with 512MB).

	Here's what build.sh says about the time:

		 build.sh started: Sat Jan 10 23:14:00 EST 2004
		 build.sh ended:   Sun Jan 11 01:22:11 EST 2004

	Does this seem slow to others, or an I just expecting too much
	from a box with only 256MB that was also running gnome2 at the
	same time (though it wasn't doing anything save running the
	screensaver during the large part of the build)?

	The sysctl vm setting are the defaults, and I do have Thor's
	tweaked bufcache and vnode sizing in the sources (16307 vnodes,
	bufcache at 20%).

	I'll try and boot the older kernel and see if I can get enough
	of the system running (I've already installed the new build) to
	see what it does...

Thoughts?
--rafal

----
Rafal Boni                                                     rafal@pobox.com
  We are all worms.  But I do believe I am a glowworm.  -- Winston Churchill

--==_Exmh_150711487710P

--==_Exmh_150711487710P--