Subject: Re: kdump dependency on kernel, ktrace id portability
To: Greywolf <greywolf@starwolf.com>
From: Allen Briggs <briggs@wasabisystems.com>
List: tech-kern
Date: 01/09/2004 14:37:42
On Fri, Jan 09, 2004 at 11:25:40AM -0800, Greywolf wrote:
> It's not a huge burden, but it's sufficiently annoying to qualify as
> a hemorrhoid.  Every time I build a new kernel, to have to go and rebuild
> kdump is kind of a drag.

You don't.  Just if you update certain sources after certain changes
and then rebuild and install a new kernel.  There are fewer dependencies
than there used to be, thankfully, but there are obviously still some.

A checklist of them might be nice to have around, but the kernel build
framework is the wrong place for it since it would, by necessity, be
rather pessimistic about what would need rebuilding.

-allen

 Wasabi Systems, Inc.             http://www.wasabisystems.com/