Subject: re: mapping PCI memory
To: Manuel Bouyer <bouyer@antioche.eu.org>
From: matthew green <mrg@eterna.com.au>
List: tech-kern
Date: 01/02/2004 02:00:00
   On Wed, Dec 31, 2003 at 07:04:28PM +0100, Emmanuel Dreyfus wrote:
   > Manuel Bouyer <bouyer@antioche.lip6.fr> wrote:
   >
   > > I've not been thinking about this much, but I think the right place for
   > > this would be in the VGA driver. The way to map the video memory is probably
   > > device-specific.
   >
   > But there is no vga here on macppc:
   >
   > ofb0 at pci0 dev 17 function 0: vendor 0x1002 product 0x4c47
   > ofb0: 1024 x 768, 8bpp
   > wsdisplay0 at ofb0 kbdmux 1: console (std, vt100 emulation), using wskbd0

   Couldn't we attach the vga driver here instead of ofb ?
   Hum, there may be issues with the way the adapter is initialised.
   Anyway, the righ place for this is in the driver, not the emulation layer.
   It's possible that a chip-specific driver is needed instead of ofb to do
   this.

what exactly are you wanting to do here?  we're going to need card-specific
drivers for getting DRM/DRI working with XFree86 (they already exist in the
XFree86 4.x tree - we don't have to write them, only port them.)

but these drivers are separate to the netbsd 'vga @' or 'ofb @' etc.. they
load and use the xf pciscan methods to find the relevant cards, from memory.

.mrg.