Subject: Re: Adding opencrypto, crypto acceelerator to GENERIC kernels?
To: None <john@johnrshannon.com>
From: Jonathan Stone <jonathan@DSG.Stanford.EDU>
List: tech-kern
Date: 11/18/2003 13:51:53
In message <200311181437.43359.john@johnrshannon.com>
"John R. Shannon" writes:

>I'd like to see it. I'd use it as soon as it is available.

It is available (sort of), its just not in the standard GENERIC kernels.

To use crypto offload, you have to build a custom kernel, after adding
opencrypto and the relevant device to your kernel config file.  You'd
also have to add a very small patch to openssl's crypto library, and
rebuild openssl to use /dev/crypto.

Due (I think) to AES cleanups from a couple of months ago, AES no
longer works for me (starting AES ops causes an immediate kernel panic).
But aside from that, I've ran the code for several months, including
CVS-over-ssh updates of a (different, newer) NetBSD source tree.