Subject: Re: dynamic sysctl
To: Andrew Brown <atatat@atatdot.net>
From: Jason Thorpe <thorpej@wasabisystems.com>
List: tech-kern
Date: 11/14/2003 11:45:53
On Nov 14, 2003, at 11:40 AM, Andrew Brown wrote:

> sysctlnametomib() just checks that all the versions are the same at
> the top of the tree each time it's called, and for those that have
> changed, it purges that data from its cache.

Ok.  But you said that ABI compatiblity was maintained with the old
code.  I'm not sure how that can be the case if nodes can appear and
disappear, thus changing the numbering.

It seems like the node lookup should all be string-based internally,
and that a compat syscall should be used for old number-based lookups.