Subject: Re: disklabel(8) and machdep on-disk structures issues
To: Luke Mewburn <lukem@NetBSD.org>
From: Manuel Bouyer <bouyer@antioche.eu.org>
List: tech-kern
Date: 11/08/2003 18:50:11
On Sat, Nov 08, 2003 at 04:11:20PM +1100, Luke Mewburn wrote:
> I still think we should change DIOCWDINFO to write the raw label,

I agree, but see below.

> even if there is no raw label.  Currently DIOCWDINFO will fail
> if the raw label doesn't exist.  (See disklabel(5)).

This isn't true at last for some ports. Try it on sparc, sun3 or next68k for
example.
I guess the restriction mentionned in disklabel(5) is enforced in
each port's disksubr.c This would mean changing all disksubr.c.
We probably don't need to do it all at once, and let each disksubr.c be updated
by someone with hardware to test the change.

--
Manuel Bouyer <bouyer@antioche.eu.org>