Subject: Re: Presence of one disk trashes another
To: None <darcy@NetBSD.org>
From: Greg A. Woods <woods@weird.com>
List: tech-kern
Date: 11/06/2003 16:23:47
[ On Thursday, November 6, 2003 at 06:45:28 (-0500), D'Arcy J.M. Cain wrote: ]
> Subject: Re: Presence of one disk trashes another
>
> On November 1, 2003 11:44 pm, Greg A. Woods wrote:
> >
> > You need the "new" AHC driver (or FreeBSD :-).
>
> Will that also allow the aic7902 to work?

Nope -- that would require the new AHD driver, IIUC.

I don't see any obvious problem with pulling the new AHD into netbsd-1-6
as well, but I have not tried and I don't have any hardware to test it
on anyway.

> Does anyone know if these changes are going into 1.6.2 or do I need to do a
> pullup request?

I vote for them going in!  ;-)

(leaving a truly broken and >2-year old ahc driver in 1.6.2 just because
a couple of people have complained about some rare hardware they happen
to have had problems with using the new driver in -current is ludicrous
-- _all_ modern Adaptec interfaces will suffer in at least some way with
the old driver, if only in serious performance degradation, and the new
driver has already been heavily tested for over a year in FreeBSD)

> Thanks.  That would be great.  Any chance you can send me an ISO image?

Sure, but it ain't your grandpa's NetBSD -- for one it's all static-linked :-)
(there are several other kernel changes in my system too which require
user-land changes, and it's missing all the optional nsswitch.conf
backends as well as optional userland things like sendmail, OpenSSH, etc.)

Let me know if you really need/want it and I'll put it up for FTP.....

--
						Greg A. Woods