Subject: Re: lockup using 1.6.1, cgd(4), raid(4)
To: None <TeCeEm@gmx.de>
From: Paul Ripke <stix@stix.homeunix.net>
List: tech-kern
Date: 11/05/2003 23:18:39
On Wednesday, Nov 5, 2003, at 14:57 Australia/Sydney, TeCeEm@gmx.de
wrote:

> I am now using the patch in kern/20191 and have started trashing the
> fs (-o
> softdep) hard with simultaneous cp(1)s of the 1.6 source tree and a
> multi-gigabyte file in a loop. So far it looks promising. "Free" mem
> in top(1) goes as
> low as 64K and the system is stable. I will leave it running
> over-night but
> I'm confident it won't lock up now.
>
> I will add cgd(4) to the mix later and do some thorough testing before
> moving all my data over.

Good to hear! That patch is a gross hack, and definitely won't work for
every RAID 5 (numbers should change based on number of columns and
stripe unit sizes). However, I'm yet to have a failure on my system with
that patch applied.

If I can find some time, I'll have a shot at a real fix. Unless Greg
beats me to it.

Cheers,
--
Paul Ripke