Subject: Re: Presence of one disk trashes another
To: None <tech-kern@NetBSD.org>
From: D'Arcy J.M. Cain <darcy@NetBSD.org>
List: tech-kern
Date: 11/02/2003 12:40:50
On November 1, 2003 05:15 pm, someone wrote:
> On Sat, Nov 1, 2003 4:14 AM, D'Arcy J.M. Cain <mailto:darcy@NetBSD.org>
> wrote:
> >We have STL2 boards with the aic7899 on board.  They work fine under
> > NetBSD 1.6.1 with one drive as follows:
> >
> >sd0 at scsibus0 target 6 lun 0: <IBM, IC35L018UWD210-0, S5BS> SCSI3
> > 0/direct fixed
>
> How doese the second drive show up?
>
> It sound like the drives are at the same ID on the bus,
> and that will never work.

More than one person has made this suggestion so I will answer here.  We
thought of that as well but unless the drive is answering to two addresses
(and the replacement drive had the same problem) this can't be the case.
First of all, we very carefully checked the jumbers to make sure that we had
not confused it.  Second, the system works for some time (about a day,
sometimes less, sometimes a bit more) so it definitely finds both drives
independently for a while at least.

The dmesg output found it as two different drives as well.

--
D'Arcy J.M. Cain <darcy@netbsd.org>
http://www.NetBSD.org/