Subject: Presence of one disk trashes another
To: None <tech-kern@NetBSD.org>
From: D'Arcy J.M. Cain <darcy@NetBSD.org>
List: tech-kern
Date: 11/01/2003 05:14:24
We have STL2 boards with the aic7899 on board.  They work fine under NetBSD
1.6.1 with one drive as follows:

sd0 at scsibus0 target 6 lun 0: <IBM, IC35L018UWD210-0, S5BS> SCSI3 0/direct
fixed

When we add a second drive the system halts with disk errors showing on the
screen.  The second drive is a Seagate Cheetah Ultra320 ST336607LW.  The odd
thing is that the second drive doesn't get trashed, the first one does.  We
have tried this in a number of systems and have replaced both the original
drive and the Cheetah.  Removing the drive allows the system to run forever.

This doesn't seem to happen with other drives.  This has been very frustrating
for us.  Does anyone have any idea where we can start investigating this?  It
seems like it must be a controller issue except for the fact that it works
fine with other drives.

--
D'Arcy J.M. Cain <darcy@netbsd.org>
http://www.NetBSD.org/