Subject: Re: sa/pthread smp concurrency (includes patch)
To: Frank van der Linden <fvdl@netbsd.org>
From: Bill Studenmund <wrstuden@netbsd.org>
List: tech-kern
Date: 07/15/2003 09:34:44
On Mon, 14 Jul 2003, Frank van der Linden wrote:

> On Mon, Jul 14, 2003 at 12:25:17PM -0400, Thor Lancelot Simon wrote:
> > I don't entirely agree.  The features added by this patch are necessary
> > to address the issues with SA in combination with SMP, are they not?
>
> Stephan's patch addresses the crash issues. Christian, in addition,
> made some scheduling and affinity improvements. They're not needed
> to avoid the SMP+SA crashes.

My main point was that it seems like there are parts we're happy with, and
parts that need more work/thought/discussion. Let's check in what we're
happy with now, rather than waiting for more discussion. Also, my
understanding is that some of these changes will improve life for UP
pthreads too.

Take care,

Bill