Subject: Re: funlink() for fun!
To: Greg A. Woods <woods@weird.com>
From: Greywolf <greywolf@starwolf.com>
List: tech-kern
Date: 07/12/2003 02:15:18
Thus spake Greg A. Woods ("GAW> ") sometime Today...

GAW> Date: Sat, 12 Jul 2003 04:55:56 -0400 (EDT)
GAW> From: Greg A. Woods <woods@weird.com>
GAW> To: Greywolf <greywolf@starwolf.com>
GAW> Subject: Re: funlink() for fun!
GAW>
GAW> [ On Friday, July 11, 2003 at 19:20:48 (-0700), Greywolf wrote: ]
GAW> > Subject: Re: funlink() for fun!
GAW> >
GAW> > fchdir does not operate on a filename.  It operates on a DESCRIPTOR which
GAW> > ultimately HAS NO MEMORY, CACHE or CONNECTION _whatsoever_ to the original
GAW> > NAME.  This DESCRIPTOR ultimately contains a reference to a VNODE which
GAW> > points to a FILESYSTEM OBJECT, i.e. METADATA.
GAW>
GAW> You obviously don't understand even the first thing about the semantics
GAW> here.  Please go back to the books and only try again once you've
GAW> thought a lot longer and harder about the issues..

Look in the mirror, Greg.  I think, for all my kernel non-cluedness,
I have a better handle on the semantics of how a filesystem works than
you are displaying, which I find oddly disturbing, actually, because
I thought you knew better about filesystems and implementation within
UNIX than this.

				--*greywolf;
--
Microsoft:
	"Just click on the START button and your journey to the Dark Side