Subject: Re: fsync performance hit on 1.6.1
To: Kamal R Prasad <kamalrpr@in.ibm.com>
From: Greg A. Woods <woods@weird.com>
List: tech-kern
Date: 07/10/2003 12:40:54
[ On Thursday, July 10, 2003 at 12:53:55 (+0530), Kamal R Prasad wrote: ]
> Subject: Re: fsync performance hit on 1.6.1
>
> Im not exactly a kernel guru (and unless you mean kernel data structures)-
> I must say that using SysV IPC (or any other UNIX system calls) does
> require a good knowledge of how things are implemented under the hood.

No, not "under the hood".  A good systems programmer will need to know
how to use system calls effectively and safely and what system resources
they may consume; and thus the API for those calls must be well and
completely documented.  However just as with any well documented API it
should never be necessary to know how it is implemented under the hood.

--
								Greg A. Woods