Subject: Re: make vnodes freeable
To: YAMAMOTO Takashi <yamt@mwd.biglobe.ne.jp>
From: Simon Burge <simonb@wasabisystems.com>
List: tech-kern
Date: 07/04/2003 02:17:54
YAMAMOTO Takashi wrote:

> hi,
>
> following patch is to make vnodes freeable.
> i.e. you can decrease kern.maxvnodes.

I wonder if this can be made optional?  For systems that never plan to
decrease kern.maxvnodes and have this set to a large value, it's a fair
chunk of kernel memory tied up that'll never be used.  Of course, this
will cause problems for kmem grovellers that use 'struct vnode' and
'struct nameicache' (at least fstat, maybe others).

I guess it's a big step to go to a totally dynamically sized vnode
cache?  Ie, one that varies it's own size without manual intervention?

Simon.
NetBSD Support and Service:         http://www.wasabisystems.com/