Subject: Re: libpthread
To: William Allen Simpson <wsimpson@greendragon.com>
From: Kamal R Prasad <kamalrpr@in.ibm.com>
List: tech-kern
Date: 06/25/2003 19:25:12
>  An important maxim in software engineering is that "correctness is a
>  constraint, while performance is a goal." The simplicity of the new
>  threads implementation makes it easier to deliver correctness, and
>  allows more time to be devoted to performance tuning.

I was under the impression that we would be saving the kernel a lot of
trouble by using userland threads whenever possible. and thats obvious
because the kernel doesn't have to deal with the overhead of that thread.
how do you go about denying that?
 OTOH, the implementation of threads in itself makes v little difference
either in (terms of) functionality or performance. so maybe a 1:1 is
really the best thing to have.
regards
-kamal