Subject: open(2) -> device open
To: None <tech-kern@netbsd.org>
From: Jay Parlar <parlar@hotmail.com>
List: tech-kern
Date: 06/12/2003 08:34:02
I'm currently trying to get familiar with parts of the NetBSD kernel, in
particular, the path taken from calling open() in userland on "/dev/xyz " to
arriving at the xyzopen() call in the device driver.

I'm not having too much luck right now. I know enough to start with
sys_open() and go from there, but I keep getting lost in the internals.

Would anyone be able to point me in the direction of a document that details
this path, or anything along those lines? Specifically, if someone could
tell me where the function pointer is assigned the interface methods of the
driver (i.e. the methods in cdevsw[]), and where the driver's open method is
called (through the function pointer).

Thanks in advance,

Jay Parlar