Subject: Re: ioctl and EOPNOTSUPP
To: Frank van der Linden <fvdl@netbsd.org>
From: Jason Thorpe <thorpej@wasabisystems.com>
List: tech-kern
Date: 06/04/2003 14:02:46
On Wednesday, June 4, 2003, at 12:11  PM, Frank van der Linden wrote:

> I like EOPNOTSUPP better myself, but if the standard mandates ENOTTY,
> than ENOTTY it shall be. Go head, I'd say.

Yah, ENOTTY is correct.  However, there are some circumstances where
EOPNOTSUPP is appropriate, though.  Consider the case of a driver which
fits into a subsystem which exports a feature, but the driver does not
support that particular feature... that would be a case where
EOPNOTSUPP would be appropriate.

that said, I have not looked at this diff, and don't know if there are
any such cases in it :-)