Subject: Re: FASTTRAK100 woes (Was: 3ware escalade install problem)
To: None <tech-kern@netbsd.org>
From: David Laight <david@l8s.co.uk>
List: tech-kern
Date: 05/20/2003 19:00:31
> I seem to have a few more days' space to experiment in.  I'll
> probably revert off RAID for production, but I'm now curious.
> Anyone think I can actually boot off the combined pair?  I can't
> quite see how, but I'm quite clueless in this case.

It is possible that the NetBSD install procedure overwrote the raid
configuration that was on the disk - so it reverted to a normal disk.

It is also possible that everything 'just worked' (at least to some
extend) and the offset the kernel has to use to access the mirrored
disk was ok.

However I'm not sure that the i386 boot code (as installed by sysinst)
can possibly work for these raid sets.  The i386 /usr/mdec/installboot
copies disk sector numbers into the bootstrap area, since the sector
numbers used by the bios and those used by the kernel now differ this
is unlikely to be correct.

It is quite possible that the new i386 boot code I've written will
work, but I suspect there will by an 'off by 64' error in it somewhere!
I don't have a raid test system.

The setup is easy just:
use /usr/sbin/installboot to copy usr/mdec/bootxx_ffsv1 into the boot area,
and copy /usr/mdec/biosboot to /boot.

If it doesn't work I'll fix it at the end of next week..

	David

--
David Laight: david@l8s.co.uk