Subject: Re: Minimum swap size
To: Wojciech Puchar <wojtek@tensor.3miasto.net>
From: Sean Davis <dive@endersgame.net>
List: tech-kern
Date: 05/19/2003 17:33:46
On Mon, May 19, 2003 at 11:24:48PM +0200, Wojciech Puchar wrote:
> > the system will never have a working set anywhere near that big.
> > Adding 4Gb of swap is getting silly for a single user desktop!
> >
> > Although disks are also cheap, it is quite possible that netbsd
> > is sharing the disk with other OS (especially on i386).
> >
> > I was considering changing the default swap size to the larger of:
> > - 1/10th the size of the disk/netbsd partition
> > - the amount of RAM (so that you can dump to swap)
> > - the smaller of 4 * RAM and 128MB
> >
> > I was also considering making '/' at least 1/10th of the disk.
> > That will give some space for /var and /tmp - I've had too much trouble
> > with vi running out of space in /var/tmp when editing file of only a few
> > 10's of MB...
> >

> what about making just 2 partition?
>
> / and swap
>
> Time to get rid of strange tradition where systems and disks was failing
> often, checking partition was very long etc..

Uhh, in my case, for example, with one 120GB drive and one 20GB drive, even
partitioned into a bunch of bits (the biggest being 60GB), checking that
60GB partition does take a hell of a long time. I wouldn't want it all in
one partition. Not until NetBSD has some sort of journaling filesystem or
LFS becomes stable enough to use everyday.

--
/~\ The ASCII
/ \ Email!