Subject: Re: Minimum swap size
To: David Laight <david@l8s.co.uk>
From: Chris Jepeway <jepeway@blasted-heath.com>
List: tech-kern
Date: 05/19/2003 12:22:56
> I was considering changing the default swap size to the larger of:
> - 1/10th the size of the disk/netbsd partition
> - the amount of RAM (so that you can dump to swap)
> - the smaller of 4 * RAM and 128MB
How 'bout an option for "workstation" machines with piles of RAM
where no swap whatsoever is allocated?

Say I've got 512M of RAM.  Why do I need swap?  Crash dumps,
sure.  But pretend I don't care about debugging them.  Then,
why burn disk on swap?  OK, disk is cheap, but why make folk
ponder how to carve up a disk any more than they must?

FWIW, I've also found a no swap config to be useful on diskless machines
where I'm kernel debugging via KGDB.  That setup, of course, ain't
relevant when considering sysinst defaults.  I mention it as "yup, this
works, and yup, it's useful."  Well, "this works" on late 1.5 series
kernels, dunno about 1.6.  I'd hope/expect it to work, certainly.

Chris <jepeway@blasted-heath.com>.