Subject: Re: Adding kernel code to libkern
To: David Laight <david@l8s.co.uk>
From: Martin Husemann <martin@duskware.de>
List: tech-kern
Date: 05/13/2003 22:33:23
On Tue, May 13, 2003 at 06:00:30PM +0100, David Laight wrote:
> There seem to be 16 ports that use mbr disks (and all the others might
> see one - especially with USB disks and other interchange media.

For none of these the MBR code belongs into the bootloader or the kernel,
besides the ports that *boot* from a disk where the NetBSD disklabel position
depends on the MBR - and there only because we don't have a proper solution
yet. I would even argue that those ports are broken and need fixing, I've been
bitten by this absurd construct more than one time.

For everything else mbrlabel(8) should work pretty well and shows the right
way (wedges!).

Martin