Subject: Re: is there an sshfs for NetBSD ?
To: Hubert Feyrer <hubert.feyrer@informatik.fh-regensburg.de>
From: Bill Studenmund <wrstuden@netbsd.org>
List: tech-kern
Date: 05/08/2003 10:46:53
On Wed, 7 May 2003, Hubert Feyrer wrote:

> On Wed, 7 May 2003, BokLM wrote:
> >   I would like to know if something like an sshfs (to mount a remote file
> > system using ssh) aldready exists in NetBSD. I think this can be pretty
> > usefull sometimes ...
>
> You could also run pppd on top of ssh, then put whatever you want ontop of
> that sshd, and have it encrypted transparently. The idea goes back quite
> some time, see http://www.feyrer.de/Texts/Own/secure-ip.txt (german
> language, sorry, but I think you'll get the idea).
>
> Of course you could as well try to port anyof the Linux filesystems to
> NetBSD, or maybe even try to work on a compat layer for filesystems, to
> make it easier to port Linux filesystems to NetBSD (thinking journaling
> filesystems).

That would be really gross. It's a nice idea, but I think it'd be really
gross. The problem is not only do you need the VFS interface (VFS_FOO and
VOP_BAR) worked on, you also need the bottom half of the file system
worked on - the buffer cache & VM system. :-( Since the VM (UBC) system is
one of our strong points (a place we've put a lot of work), I don't see an
easy mapping to linux semantics.

Take care,

Bill