Subject: Re: Locore.c filename
To: John Gordon <john_94501@yahoo.com>
From: Martin Husemann <martin@duskware.de>
List: tech-kern
Date: 05/05/2003 09:14:57
On Sun, May 04, 2003 at 09:39:27PM -0700, John Gordon wrote:

> I have just got to the testing phase of my little project to enable building of
> the NetBSD under Cygwin/Windoze and discovered that on some architectures there
> are source files that will result in object files that differ in only the case
> of their name. The offending sources are locore.s and Locore.c, the latter of
> which appears only in:

IMHO this name choices are poor anyway and easily confuse the human reader
too, so they should just be changed.

The priority of supporting "strange" build environments like this may
be worth a discussion, but if the effort to remove simple obstacles like
this is ~0 we should just do it.

For the embedded world we already decided we should not rely on a NetBSD
build host - and this gave us quite an improvement for release engineering of
slower archs. From the possible non-NetBSD build hosts, a Win32 machine is
the most likely thing to happen - so we should support it. If not actively,
at least by fixing things when brought to our attention.

Martin