Subject: Re: Locore.c filename
To: der Mouse <mouse@Rodents.Montreal.QC.CA>
From: John Gordon <john_94501@yahoo.com>
List: tech-kern
Date: 05/04/2003 23:50:11
Hello,

> I do not expect this to be a popular viewpoint.  I do not expect it to
> be the one the Project will adopt; I'm not even sure it's one the
> Project _should_ adopt.  But you asked. :-)

I guess it really depends on whether the goal of the build system is to be able
to build anywhere, or just anywhere that it works without imposing even the
simplest of restrictions on the programmer ;-)

The number of files I have discovered so far that cause the problem is minimal.
Add to that the fact that Locore.c is already an 'unusual' name, chosen
presumably to avoid the resulting object from clashing with the result of
assembling locore.S.

Of couse, it is also a simple thing to provide a pre-processing script that
will simply run over the tree fixing the known set of names that will cause
problems for a cygwin-based build. I just thought, since it is actually a very
minor change, it would be nice to have it work out of the box...

> I think that filesystems that conflate names that differ only in
> alphabetic case are barbarisms that should be worked around when
> necessary but never catered to.  If you have to deal with one,
> interpose a mapping layer (Eunice comes to mind as an example).  I'm
> surprised cygwin doesn't do this - I would most certainly expect it to,
> even to the extent of calling it a bug if I discovered it didn't.

Interestingly, Cygwin used to do this and then removed support for it because
it was causing problems for people using native windows apps on the same files.
It would, I guess, depend on your perspective whether you considered it a bug
that the filenames were not mapped or that it was difficult to use native
applications with those same files. For a while there was a patch being
maintained that restored the behaviour, but that too is no longer supported
AFAICT.

It would be nice to simply say that any file system that ignores the case in
filenames is simply wrong, but unfortunately there's a large number of people
out there using one such system, and it doesn't look likely to change anytime
soon (more's the pity).

TTFN,
John...

=====