Subject: Re: probe()
To: Kamal R Prasad <kamalrpr@in.ibm.com>
From: Manuel Bouyer <bouyer@antioche.eu.org>
List: tech-kern
Date: 04/28/2003 21:43:14
On Mon, Apr 28, 2003 at 10:43:13AM +0100, Kamal R Prasad wrote:
> Hello,
>  it looks like probe(handle_t) is called with the address of the
> corresponding (pci) card.
> my question is:- since  we are not specifying which pci slot the card is
> in,  how does the kernel identify the appropriate probe function to be
> called? where is the src code for this located?

I'm not sure I understand your question properly.
In most of our PCI drivers, the probe function is called xxx_match(), and
the argument isn't a handle_t (there are 3 arguments, and the one describing
the current card is a pci_attach_args).
For each PCI cards, the kernel call all the match functions, and choose the
driver which returned the hightest value.

> -kamal
> p.s: I wanted to send this to netbsd.help mailing list, but could not get
> the proper email id for that.

tech-kern is the right place for this.

--
Manuel Bouyer <bouyer@antioche.eu.org>