Subject: Re: compartmentalization of kernel memory
To: Matthew Mondor <mmondor@gobot.ca>
From: Gary Thorpe <gathorpe79@yahoo.com>
List: tech-kern
Date: 04/08/2003 13:53:11
I think Linux uses something similar to at least some of what you
describe....

 --- Matthew Mondor <mmondor@gobot.ca> wrote: >
> Hmm since kernel space runs under the same MMU context I also see
> that
> self-memory protection can become tricky... There is a system which I
> used when writing Xisop (a microkernel which does not support MMU and
> can run on a plain motorola 68000) which allowed to perform some
> basic
> sanity checking on key system structures which are generally
> referenced
> by address/pointer...
>
> It uses a magic "cookie" which each special system structures which
> can
> be accessed using pointers have. This only consists of a unique
> number
> which is initialized when such an object is created/allocated, and
> set
> to zero when it is destroyed/freed. This allowed some critical code
> sections
> (i.e. message queuing to a port by port address and message address)
> first verify if the pointer is non-null (it also would be possible to
> perform boundary checking there), and then make sure that the cookie
> corresponds to the expected value.

I think Linux also uses a similar technique in protecting data
structures: either the end or beginning (or both) ends of a structure
are  marked by values when debugging options are selected. In this way,
I think they can detect when such structures have been corrupted by
errant pointers (but not the exact moment this occured obviously).
Seems like a useful practise if they in fact do it: would such a
feature be an aid in debugging the NetBSD kernel?