Subject: Re: NetBSD usage in embedded environments
To: Kamal R Prasad <kamalrpr@in.ibm.com>
From: Allen Briggs <briggs@wasabisystems.com>
List: tech-kern
Date: 04/03/2003 10:17:20
On Thu, Apr 03, 2003 at 03:13:24PM +0000, Kamal R Prasad wrote:
> >3. Multithreading (native pthreads support)
> think there is an _SA branch with LWP support.

It's actually in -current, no longer on a branch.

> >4. BSD equivalent of Redboot
> redboot is (a low-level slip/ethernet mechanism) used to load the OS -so Im
> not sure why redboot cannot be enhanced to load netbsd (if it doesn't).

RedBoot loads NetBSD fine.  What I suspect Kyle might have been
talking about, though, is a BSD-licensed boot loader that shares
code with NetBSD and which can be included more seamlessly in the
development and (in perhaps a reduced form) in the final product.
There are a few different boot loaders out there with different
licenses on them and with differing platform support, but nothing
that fits this bill.

Shouldn't this thread be on tech-embed@ instead of tech-kern@ ?

-allen

 Wasabi Systems, Inc.             http://www.wasabisystems.com/