Subject: Audio problems...
To: tech-kern <tech-kern@netbsd.org>
From: Adam K Kirchhoff <adamk@voicenet.com>
List: tech-kern
Date: 03/12/2003 09:22:02
Hello all,

	I've recently installed NetBSD on my system at home and have
noticed a few issues with certain audio drives.  Since I'm running
-current (as of two days ago), I first reported these problems on the
current-users mailing list, but I haven't gotten any feedback, so I
thought I would try here next :-)

	I first started off with an SB Live! sound card in this machine.
The emuxki driver detected the card, and it ran flawlessly for about 12
hours straight.  Then, without any warning, any application trying to
touch /dev/audio would give the error "resource temporarily unavailable:
/dev/audio".  Mind you, nothing is actually using the device at the time.
Rebooting is the only way to get the device back.   Prior to that,
everything was running fine, both recording (thanks to whowever get that
working) and playback.

	So, I switched to a yamaha-754 based card, using the yds driver.
The first problem was that the kernel would just stop booting when it
deteced midi2 attached to yds0 (midi0 was attached pcppi0 and midi1 was
attached to cmpci0).  Commenting out the appropriate lines in my kernel
config got the machine up and running again.  I haven't had much chance to
test everything, but xmms and mplayer work fine.  When I go to play
bzflag, though, I get massive amounts of stuttering.  (the emuxki driver
does not have this problem).

	The biggest issue for me is getting the yds driver to work
properly.  Does anyone have any suggestions how I can go about tracking
down this problem?  Thanks.

Adam