Subject: Re: long usernames
To: None <tech-kern@netbsd.org>
From: Matthew Mondor <mmondor@gobot.ca>
List: tech-kern
Date: 02/19/2003 04:20:26
On Wed, Feb 19, 2003 at 10:20:16AM +1100, matthew green wrote:

> are you saying that if you wait for the password: prompt and type
> fast you get those characters echoed?  (it more sounds like you're
> typing the username/password together as fast as possible, and not
> waiting for getty/login to prompt you.)

:) that's almost it, getty waits and already prompted for the username,
but then I don't wait for the password prompt (which is assumed to be ready
already after the username was entered, it is usually the case, except
under some circumstances where some delay occurs before the second prompt
appears)... When this happens (usually after first bootup, or when the system
has been idle for a while), the password string is obviously output to
the console.

This also happens to various other users here (we almost only use NetBSD in
the tech room)... The only inconvenience was that at times someone else was
besides watching and passwords had to be changed at occasions.

Matt