Subject: re: is it possible to find out where a device is attached?
To: David Laight <david@l8s.co.uk>
From: matthew green <mrg@eterna.com.au>
List: tech-kern
Date: 02/16/2003 00:37:46
   I was looking at the code used to tie together the bios drive numbers
   for hard disks with the netbsd device driver/unit name.

   The PCI bios will (bugs excepted) tell us where it found a particular
   disk - eg ATA on pci bus 0 device 5 function 1.

   However I can't spot a way of getting the same information out of
   the netbsd device tree - eg starting from alldevs.
   The 'bus type' and 'locators' seem to be absent from the referenced
   data structures.

   What have I missed?

nothing.

these infos aren't stored, in general.  this is why people recent
have noted they can write a program to dump the device tree but
without locators.

there has been discussion on changing this in the past, and i think
it would be a good idea (but see generic/device properties.)

.mrg.