Subject: Re: long usernames
To: <>
From: David Laight <david@l8s.co.uk>
List: tech-kern
Date: 02/14/2003 11:59:52
On Fri, Feb 14, 2003 at 11:57:01AM +0100, Jaromir Dolecek wrote:
> David Laight wrote:
> > Supporting longer names would really need the setlogname system
> > call changing so that the length is passed in.
>
> Err, not really. Since it's a string, it's possible to find
> the length out without getting it passed explicitly.

It is MUCH easier to do that in the library routine.
Doing in the kernel either requires repeated calls to copyinstr()
with ever longer buffers or a new strlen_user() function in every
architecture.

> Anyway, I think bumping the kernel buffer size to say 32 should
> provide enough room for a while.

16 is enough for now! changing it to 32 is pointless.
If it needs to be bigger then space for the name needs to be malloc().

	David

--
David Laight: david@l8s.co.uk