Subject: Re: kernel filesystem code move
To: Michael Graff <explorer@flame.org>
From: Jaromir Dolecek <jdolecek@netbsd.org>
List: tech-kern
Date: 12/26/2002 17:29:31
Michael Graff wrote:
> >  [*] Not really 'lose' (it's still available on old location), but
> >      it's painful to track CVS history through file moves
>
> With repository copy, rather than using CVS commands, you can maintain
> history.  I do this a lot, using "cp" to copy the ,v files to a new
> spot, then doing "cvs rm" to remove the old ones, with a comment
> pointing to the new spot.

Yes, but you also need to mark previous revisions of the
copy as 'dead', to not break cvs co/update -r/-D. And there
is no sign in log that the file was moved (thought that
one can be done via cvs ci -f).

Since previous revisions are marked as 'dead' for copy,
you cannot cvs diff between them anymore. This makes
the history log basically next to useless.

AFAIK our current official CVS policy is to do cvs rm/cvs add,
rather than repository copy.

Hopefully once we'd be able to switch to different revision control
system, which (countrary to CVS) would be able to handle&track file
moves.

Jaromir
--
Jaromir Dolecek <jdolecek@NetBSD.org>            http://www.NetBSD.org/