Subject: kernel filesystem code move
To: None <tech-kern@netbsd.org>
From: Jaromir Dolecek <jdolecek@netbsd.org>
List: tech-kern
Date: 12/26/2002 15:40:21
Hi,
you might have noticed most of top-level top kernel filesystem
directories were moved under sys/fs - adosfs, cd9660, filecorefs,
msdosfs, ntfs. This is to improve organization of the code.

I'd like to know what is general opinion of what should be
done with the rest of filesystems.

There are four different cases:

1) nfs, ufs/*: I think these should stay where they are, at least for now -
   it's too painful to lose[*] the CVS history for these, I don't
   think it would be desirable to move them to fs/
2) coda: we'd lose the import history if this would be moved, but
   I don't think it would be too important (didn't seem to be touched
   in couple years now, seems to be basically nonmaintained)
3) miscfs - fdesc, kernfs, nullfs, overlay, portal, procfs, umapfs,
   union: miscellaneous virtual filesystems, used (mountable) directly
   by userland; I think these should be moved under fs/
4) miscfs - deadfs, fifofs, genfs, specfs, syncfs: miscellaneous
   filesystem support code, used in-kernel only; I think it would be
   to painful to lose the CVS history for those, I don't want to
   move them

Opinions?

If nobody would argue, I'd move 2) and 3) under sys/fs/, and
leave 1) and 4) as they are, sometime on start of January 2003.

Jaromir

 [*] Not really 'lose' (it's still available on old location), but
     it's painful to track CVS history through file moves
--
Jaromir Dolecek <jdolecek@NetBSD.org>            http://www.NetBSD.org/