Subject: Re: wedges vs. not-quite-wedges, was > 1T filesystems, disklabels, etc
To: Jonathan Stone <jonathan@DSG.Stanford.EDU>
From: David Laight <david@l8s.co.uk>
List: tech-kern
Date: 12/21/2002 10:58:28
> >At least this way you only have things move around if you make a, "big,"
> >change to the partitions. And, you have things happen immediately after
> >you make the change, so you can adjust things as part of the change. It's
> >not something that lies around waiting to bite you later.
>
> Hm. Acutally, I can see how it might well be *exactly* that.  hat if a
> user rearranges their FooOS partition, and doesn't reboot from FooOS
> back to NetBSD for some time? Seems like we'd quite potentially kick
> off a fsck_FooOSfs in that case.  Which could lead to data loss.
> Big big ooops.
>
> Is there some way we can persuade you to think beyond NetBSD being the
> only OS present, and start thinking about multi-boot environments?

Yes all the more reason to remember what you found last time.
(the more info you remember the better...)

I'm not suggesting you should use info from a dosk file to decide
what partitions exist (ie what you can mount), but rather to
ensure you invalidate information that may be stashed elsewhere
(eg in /etc/fstab).

If the details of a partition have changed, then you don't want
to pretend that it contains the same data as it did last time.

Maybe you just 'lock' the entry (stopping filesystems being
fscked and mounted) until the admin has requested the flag be
cleared.

	David

--
David Laight: david@l8s.co.uk