Subject: Re: wedges vs. not-quite-wedges, was > 1T filesystems, disklabels, etc
To: Bill Studenmund <wrstuden@netbsd.org>
From: Jonathan Stone <jonathan@DSG.Stanford.EDU>
List: tech-kern
Date: 12/20/2002 17:48:51
In message <Pine.NEB.4.33.0212201613580.11303-100000@vespasia.home-net.internet
connect.net>Bill Studenmund writes

[wedges config files]

I thought you said no config files? Was this an ``as-if''
response to David Laight's what-if?

>At least this way you only have things move around if you make a, "big,"
>change to the partitions. And, you have things happen immediately after
>you make the change, so you can adjust things as part of the change. It's
>not something that lies around waiting to bite you later.

Hm. Acutally, I can see how it might well be *exactly* that.  hat if a
user rearranges their FooOS partition, and doesn't reboot from FooOS
back to NetBSD for some time? Seems like we'd quite potentially kick
off a fsck_FooOSfs in that case.  Which could lead to data loss.
Big big ooops.

Is there some way we can persuade you to think beyond NetBSD being the
only OS present, and start thinking about multi-boot environments?