Subject: Re: wedges vs. not-quite-wedges, was > 1T filesystems, disklabels, etc
To: Jason R Thorpe <thorpej@wasabisystems.com>
From: Ignatios Souvatzis <is@netbsd.org>
List: tech-kern
Date: 12/20/2002 08:41:59
--VS++wcV0S1rZb1Fb

On Thu, Dec 19, 2002 at 06:06:53PM -0800, Jason R Thorpe wrote:
> BZZT.  If you're referring to kqueue, it is nothing more than select(2)
> on steroids.

Uhm, maybe, but what's wrong about that? I think we'd be perfectly happy
if we had a remdisk socket similar to the route socket, and read event
packets out of it...=20

The hard part might be to get stable names - so we maybe need an operation
which allows, after identifying a medium, to wire it to a specific dkN.

AmigaOS solved this problem by naming _partitions_ "please insert volume FOO
into any drive".

Regards,
	-is
--=20