Subject: Re: > 1T filesystems, disklabels, etc
To: Bill Studenmund <wrstuden@netbsd.org>
From: David Laight <david@l8s.co.uk>
List: tech-kern
Date: 12/20/2002 10:09:13
> As I understand the original idea, wedges just get found, like lv's on
> AIX's LVM system. The kernel's root is always wedge0, and wedges other
> than root get added by a userland daemon. If disks show up in a different
> order (like a drive was off-line at boot one time while on-line the
> other), their partitions show up as different wedges. Say you add another
> partition to a disk, then either the new partition has a wedge number
> quite distant from the other wedges on the disk, or wedge numbers move
> around. That's all bad.

I would have a file that contained what you found on the last
boot, and what you called it.

So if another disk appears, another controller appears,
a partition gets added to the dos extended partition list (these
are in sector order) none of the existing 'partitions' change
their identity.

It might be necessary to read this info directly by the kernel
during boot, but I would use a process to update the file or
to dynamically change any (inactive) map.

	David

--
David Laight: david@l8s.co.uk