Subject: Re: wedges vs. not-quite-wedges, was > 1T filesystems, disklabels, etc
To: Frank van der Linden <fvdl@wasabisystems.com>
From: Jonathan Stone <jonathan@DSG.Stanford.EDU>
List: tech-kern
Date: 12/19/2002 16:25:03
In message <20021220010642.A18684@vaasje.org>Frank van der Linden writes
>On Thu, Dec 19, 2002 at 03:27:09PM -0800, Jonathan Stone wrote:
>> Frank, the part which says ``run a special userspace utility?''
>> is a big step *backwards*.
>>
>> Try inserting an MBR-labelled CF into a USB CF reader.  Or inserting
>> the same CF into an IDE laptop slot, via a CF-to-PCMCIA mechanical adaptor.
>
>That's a different class of problems, one of kernel event notification.
[...]

But we dont *have* such notification. We've been talking about such a
framework for years (since the days of early pcmcia support.)

Until we have the framework, they *aren't* independent problems,
not from the perspective of NetBSD, anyway.

Or, to put it another way: without such a framework, and the keventd,
Bill's proposal is a non-starter.  Is that what we're saying?