Subject: Re: wedges vs. not-quite-wedges, was > 1T filesystems, disklabels, etc
To: Jonathan Stone <jonathan@DSG.Stanford.EDU>
From: Frank van der Linden <fvdl@wasabisystems.com>
List: tech-kern
Date: 12/19/2002 23:47:21
On Thu, Dec 19, 2002 at 01:47:17PM -0800, Jonathan Stone wrote:

> The specific features we're missing which I think should be fix:
>     1. Mounting non-NetBSD filesystems  (from NetBSD).

Hm? ext2fs, msdosfs, ntfs, etc? The only inconvenience there is
that you have to 'find' them, i.e. NetBSD doesn't automatically
find the partitions, you have to know the offsets and add them
to a NetBSD disklabel, after which you can mount them just fine.
For MBR-using ports, mbrlabel(8) is useful to find the partitions.

> The way I've read Bill's proposal, any of these would require both a
> userspace daemon, and entries in some private-to-NetBSD config file.

Well, no. All that would be needed for normal usage is the program
that finds all on-disk partitions, and pushes that data into the
kernel. That is run at startup, so no extra effort is required.
You have to re-run it if a disk or partition is added, but that is
not more trouble than having to run disklabel(8) as it stands now.

Anyway, the main thing that Bill seems to dislike is not having
partition info on disk. I said that while we might not do that by
default, but giving people the *option* can't hurt. It would
*not* be a requirement.

- Frank

--
Frank van der Linden                                    fvdl@wasabisystems.com