Subject: Re: wedges vs. not-quite-wedges, was > 1T filesystems, disklabels,
To: Bill Studenmund <wrstuden@netbsd.org>
From: Greywolf <greywolf@starwolf.com>
List: tech-kern
Date: 12/19/2002 10:40:04
On Thu, 19 Dec 2002, Bill Studenmund wrote:

# The big user I can see for the extent usage is a simplistic LVM. But it
# lacks some of the big features of an LVM. For one, you can't arbitrarily
# grow one of these things, and that's what saved my butt as an admin on
# occasion. :-) Also, how do we handle the feature most LVMs have of
# auto-mirroring?

The big problem I see here is if the LVM data is kept in a config file
somewhere and not anywhere on a disk, we can't ever realistically support
LVM'd boot/root.  Will we ever be able to support alternate boot/root
methods besides straight FFS?

Disklabels are still good things to have, I think...

Being able to resize partitions on the fly would be really really
cool...

				--*greywolf;
--
NetBSD: u_long uptime;