Subject: Re: CVS commit: syssrc/sys/kern
To: Bill Studenmund <wrstuden@netbsd.org>
From: Jaromir Dolecek <jdolecek@netbsd.org>
List: tech-kern
Date: 12/09/2002 21:42:22
Bill Studenmund wrote:
> How do you tell them apart? If you could apply the 0.5 second delay to
> only cases 2 & 3, then that'd be fine. But you can't.

Indeed. I was trying to argue you don't really need to tell them apart,
but you need :)

> Also, it's one thing to block waiting for a process slot to open up, but
> that's not what you've done. The process waits for an absolute amout of
> time.

It would be quite simple to change it to do wakeup when the process
can do the fork, i.e. when other process exits and frees a usable
process slot. That said, it's not really worth the extra code,
and it would _still_ screw programs like thttpd.

> You've made an unconfigurable change that impacts what has been acceptable
> behavior FOR DECADES. Either revert it, or sysctl it with a default of
> zero.

I think that this makes most sense. It can trivially be switched on
for systems where this would be useful (or when actual fork-bomb lands),
but wouldn't do anything to people who don't explicitly turn it on.
Would everyone be happy with this? Perry, Thor, Michael, others?

Jaromir
--
Jaromir Dolecek <jdolecek@NetBSD.org>            http://www.NetBSD.org/