Subject: Re: Fork bomb protection patch
To: None <greywolf@starwolf.com>
From: M. Warner Losh <imp@bsdimp.com>
List: tech-kern
Date: 12/09/2002 01:34:29
In message: <Pine.NEB.4.44.0212082107420.20437-100000@lothlorien.starwolf.com>
            Greywolf <greywolf@starwolf.com> writes:
: On 8 Dec 2002, Perry E. Metzger wrote:
:
: # How about we surround your half second delay code with an option that
: # someone like you can turn on if they want it and we be done with this
: # discussion?
:
: How about we back it out of the tree and be done with this discussion?  I
: thought it was kinda cool until I realised what the potential drain bamage
: was on it.  I'd hate to be, e.g., waiting on a compile that was waiting a
: half second between stages because the system was fubar.  Limping along is
: not, to me, an acceptable alternative to erroring out (and thus suggesting
: to me there is something wrong with the system).

Actually, it waits 1/2s to error out.  The behavior of the return
value hasn't changed at all.  If you are on the hairy edge, like in
your compiler example, it will fail 1/2s later than it would have
before.

Warner